Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Evening Light...

Yesterday, I left work and the sky beckoned me. The sun peeked out from behind a cloud... diffused, softened...draping my world with a golden veil. I turned toward the turtle pond with my camera.




Gorgeous lotus blossoms were replaced by their ungainly seedpods...fecund, but a sad replacement for the glorious blossoms. The lotus leaves lept high out of the water as the water lilly leaves, more mundane with their smaller size, hugged the pond surface.



What are the smooth gems punctuating the lily leaves? Water drops demonstrating the wonders of our miracle compound...surface tension, cohesion...huge blob-like drops...grabbing the sunlight, then throwing it back...grabbing my eyes...grabbing my imagination. The smooth pond surface reflects a venerable building beneath the leaves. Enchantment!!! I must visit the peacocks, so off I go to Mayfield Park to find them.





The peacocks were there. Last time I visited, they were in full regalia for mating and the males were parading around demonstrating the beauty of their feathers. This time, their long, beautiful feathers were goin, and they were molting. Not a great situation for the birds to be in a good mood.



Some of the peacocks were in a good humor though. This little white yearling sported gorgeous feathers, and a lovely crown.



On the way home, I again was able to soak up the beauty from the sun's gaze. Ahhh...what a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment