Monday, September 24, 2012

Dragonfly Whispers



The Dragonfly
Today I saw the dragon-fly
Come from the wells where he did lie.
An inner impulse rent the veil
Of his old husk: from head to tail
Came out clear plates of sapphire mail.
He dried his wings: like gauze they grew;
Thro’ crofts and pastures wet with dew
A living flash of light he flew.
—Alfred Lord Tennyson, 1833

Dragonflies fascinate me! Yesterday, I was at a pond in Austin and I was treated to a delightful dragonfly display. It was a time for dragonfly love, and they were putting on quite a show with their tandem flights. To be honest, I believe some of my dainty flying friends were damselflies...much too small to be dragonflies. Damselflies, dragonflies...I love them both.

They are territorial little creatures, darting to attention when competition enters their space. Eyes dominate their heads...and they seem like little spies when they perch on a leaf or stem watching over their domain.


This little guy...natty in black and turquoise...perched and ready for battle...is likely to go one-on-one with a flying competitor twice his size. I wonder what it is like to have eyes like his...can he see all around? Are colors the same? Does he see multiple images? What do I look like to him?


My gorgeous little sentinels of the pond...patrolling dutifully,
Gossamer wings so delicate they barely seem strong enough to support you...
Fluttering and carrying you through the air,
Taking you to your feeding grounds...
Where you help me by eating my my insect enemies.




My gorgeous little sentinels of the pond...controlling your domain,
Quickly avoiding your enemies with your graceful moves...
Do you feel the warm air against your wings?
Does the water soothe your soul...as it does mine?
I treasure your life force, perfectly aligned with your pond world.

No comments:

Post a Comment