Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Torchy's Tacos and New Year's Resolutions

Austin
Today I went to Torchy's Tacos for a New Year's Resolution. Actually the Resolution is their taco of the month. 

Torchy's began in a food trailer in South Austin, and now has expanded to include a number of restaurants in Austin, and Dallas. The main attraction of Torchy's is the freshness of their food and the creativity of their menu! Each month I look forward to finding out the name and contents of their special taco.


My "Resolution" contained grilled mahi-mahi, with arugula salad, lemon vinaigrette, avocado, mango, cotijo cheese, Diablo sauce and cilantro on a corn tortilla.

I also had a "Mr. Pink" which contained guajillo seared Ahi tuna,cabbage, cheese, Chipotle sauce and lime on a corn tortilla. 


The picture shows the "Resolution" on the right and the "Mr. Pink" on the left. 

I made a mistake in ordering two, because one taco was plenty for my dinner.  But they were sooo good! 

The flavor combinations in the tacos work so well. There is a bit of heat, but it is not excessive...just enough to leave my mouth tingling.

What I like so much about Torchy's is their imaginative menu. How can you not love a taco called the "Trailer Park" with fried chicken in it. And you can get it "trashy" by adding queso instead of lettuce. How trashy can you get?

You can also get a taco with fried avocado, and the "Brush Fire" has jerk chicken with jalapenos and Diablo sauce for the hard core heat lovers. 

One of my favorites is the "Baja Shrimp" with fried shrimp, cheese, pickled jalapenos, cole slaw, lime, and cilantro. 

You can also order the Democrat, with its proletariat barbacoa or the Republican, with its jalapeno sausage.

You can read the "rags-to-riches" story of the founder or order t-shirts with the Torchy's logo. I hope you get the chance to visit Torchy's someday. I know you will like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment