Saturday, January 8, 2011

Chocolate Cravings: Viva Chocolato!


Yesterday was really fun! The high point was my visit to Viva Chocolato! What a delight!! I walked through the doors and received a warm welcome from Justin (below) into a chocolate and gelato wonderland.


He helpfully introduced us to the gelato flavors, and offered tastes. After my chocolate shopping, I did yield to a gelato with mascarpone in it. Yummmm!




After making it past the gelato counter, I was awestruck by all of the beautiful chocolate creations.








This was chocolate heaven, and even the bathroom embraced me in an homage to the confection! A gorgeous chandelier greeted me in the ladies' room. And the quotes on the walls gave me something to ponder as I used the facilities.




So then I was curious about the men's room. Was it as nice as the ladies' room? Since they were "single person" bathrooms and I knew there was not a man in the men's room, I stepped inside to take a look. 


And as a counterweight to the Cocoa Chanel quote in the ladies' room, there was a quote from "Mr. Cocoa Chanel" in the men's room. Instead of the feminine chandelier, the men's room had a masculine acknowledgement to chocolate.


And while I am on the topic of lights, the picture below shows one of the hand-made fixtures in the main part of the shop. Isn't it fantastic! Every Tuesday night I take a class in stained glass, so I know how much work and ingenuity went into the art glass throughout the shop. It is a wonder to behold!


On my way back into the shop from the restrooms, I noticed a special "nook" which I fell in love with!



OK, so I have no self-control. I bought some chocolates along with a gelato. Well...the chocolates were for later!!! They are winking at you on the white plate. 

The winking "eye" is a piece of ginger coated in chocolate. I am a ginger fiend...so there was no way to resist that.

The open eye had herbs in it, so I was immediately intrigued. I had to taste one, especially since it was shaped like an artist's palette.

The mouth is made of "bleu cheese tease" truffles. These award-winning truffles were so compelling to me that I bought some for my coworkers too. I thought we all could try them, because I couldn't figure out how blue cheese would blend with chocolate.

As I left the shop, I was greeted by two wonderful images...the V for my favorite chocolate shop....


and the wonderful sentiment below.


Well, by the time I am writing this, I have eaten all of the chocolates from this visit to Viva Chocolato! (Actually, my coworkers had some of them.) The chocolate-covered ginger was just what I expected...crystallized ginger coated with perfectly smooth, "melt-in-your-mouth" chocolate. 

The "artist's palette" was equally wonderful! The chocolate was smooth and flavorful, but the herbs added an interesting twist to that familiar taste. I could easily become addicted to these!

But the "piece de resistance" was the "bleu cheese tease." I was really glad that I bought enough to share. I returned to the office from my luncheon escapade with a small delight for everyone in our group. One person saved hers for the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday to find out how she liked it....but you know....I really already know. How could she not like it? When I first bit into mine, I was overwhelmed with the rich chocolaty taste, but as it melted in my mouth I began to detect the subtle taste of blue cheese. I couldn't believe it! The marriage of blue cheese and chocolate was real, and it was a success! How fabulous!!!

Viva Chocolato! has live music in the evenings, and special wine and chocolate pairings. This shop is one of the many gems that we have here in Austin. And if you are not from Austin, you can still order their wonderful delights from their website. Just google Viva Chocolato! Austin or go to this link. I hope someday you can visit Austin and Viva Chocolato! in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment