Monday, October 4, 2010

Peaches Galore!

I wanted something simple and elegant to do with the peaches I bought last weekend. I found a wonderful recipe called "Peaches in Lemon, Rosemary, and Vanilla Sauce" at http://www.lucullian.delights.com.

The recipe can be made quickly, and the flavors of lemon, rosemary, and vanilla combine well with the peach flavor. The sauce is poured over the peaches warm, so it slightly scalds the peach slices.

I love peaches, and I found these peaches addictive. I also found the photographs at Lucullian.Delights addictive.  I hope you will go to the site and journey through the photographs with as much pleasure as I did!

An interesting source of information, legends, and history of peaches can be found at http://www.justfoodnow.com/2010/06/01/just-peachy-all-about-peaches/. This site and many other information sources mention that peach seeds have cyanogenic glycosides in them. These molecules decompose into sugar molecules and hydrogen cyanide gas. Although this sounds ominous, peaches are in the rose family and many members of the rose family contain these chemicals. We don't really eat peach seeds, and the quantity of the molecules is not large enough to harm you unless you eat many seeds. Almonds, which are related to peaches, also contain chemicals that form hydrogen cyanide. On a lighter note...peaches are quite healthy to eat. This site also has many delectable-sounding recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment