Sunday, October 3, 2010

Jicama Slaw


So once I had my jicama, what should I do with it? I decided to make slaw with it...which turned out to be a great decision. I was able to enjoy the raw taste of the jicama mingled with the flavors of carrot, cilantro, vinegar, and lime juice. There were other flavors also, but the "oomph" came from these flavors.

For this recipe, I used
  • 1 large jicama, peeled and finely shredded
  • 1/2 Napa cabbage, finely shredded
  • 2 carrots, finely shredded
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
I first mixed the shredded jicama, cabbage, and carrots together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, I whisked together the lime juice, vinegar, chili powder, honey, and oil, then added salt and pepper to taste. 

I then poured the contents of the medium bowl over the contents of the large bowl. I added the cilantro and made sure everything was thoroughly mixed. I then let it stand at room temperature before serving (this should be a minimum of 15 minutes).

This is a wonderful recipe for summers in Texas when it gets incredibly hot because there is no cooking involved. The ingredients blend to become a tart and refreshing energy booster. This dish is perfect for a quick "pick-me-up" by the pool or on a picnic. The ingredients are relatively tolerant of heat and tend to stay fresh on the journey to the picnic site. 



No comments:

Post a Comment