Friday, February 4, 2011

Kisir: Savory Turkish Delight!

After a week of good intentions, I finally found time to make Kisir. The unusual snowfall here in Texas last night provided me with this gift of time.

So I found a variety of recipes for Kisir. Not wanting to venture onto the snowy roads, I was restricted to the ingredients I had on hand, so I modified the recipes a bit. I worked with a recipe that involved pomegranate juice and another recipe with fewer ingredients and created something between the two with a few modifications.


The major ingredient in Kisir is bulgur wheat. In the pantry I had a mixture of couscous and bulgur wheat that I used instead of plain bulgur. I peeled two tomatoes and cut them into small pieces, then sauteed them in olive oil with diced green onions. I added cumin, mint, parsley, salt, and lemon juice. When the tomatoes and onions seemed ready, I added the mixture to the bulgur and guinoa. After mixing it thoroughly, I allowed it to cool.

I liked it, but some of the other members of the household were not used to the taste of cumin and didn't like it. I'm going to try it again with less cumin and perhaps pomegranate juice instead of lemon juice.

I think Kisir is a nice dish for a summer picnic. I like the blend of flavors, but perhaps I added too much cumin for my family. I will try it again with slightly different proportions and perhaps garlic and a few different spices.

Kisir is a side dish in Turkish cuisine. There are many other aspects of this fascinating cuisine that I need to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment