Friday, September 3, 2010

Amaranth Carrot Cookies: Energy for a Marathon


So with my grain of the Aztec Gods I had to make something special. I love cookies so I tried the recipe on the package of amaranth flour. 


I used the following ingredients:
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup agave syrup
6 tablespoons water
2 cups amaranth flour
2/3 cup corn or arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup grated carrots
2/3 cup raisins


I preheated the oven to 350 and lightly greased a cookie sheet. I then combined all of the wet ingredients and set them aside. In another bowl I mixed the dry ingredients. The recipe calls for sifting, but I didn't do that. It would probably make the cookies better, but I thought they were good without sifting.  I then added the wet and dry ingredients and mixed them well. Then I added the carrots and raisins. This recipe makes about 1 dozen cookies, so I divided the dough into 12 balls. I flattened the balls and placed them on the cookie sheet. I baked the cookies for about 12 to 15 minutes. They should be lightly brown when finished. I cooled them on a wire rack when they were done.


The cookies are quite filling and provide the body with a lot of energy. They have a touch of sweetness from the agave syrup and make a great healthy snack. And of course they have the grain of the Gods!

1 comment: